Strawberry Crumb Bars
I love summer! Especially the vibrant fresh fruits and vegetables. Summer meals just make me feel better, being much lighter than comfort food we have during the fall and winter.
I have been visiting the Farmer’s Market in our town for seasonal fruits and veggies and I have yet to be disappointed with the lovely choices, especially strawberries. I love baking with fruit and created these Strawberry Crumb Bars as adaptation to a heavier, higher calorie recipe for Strawberry Shortbread Bars at the request of the King (hee hee).
This recipe uses only ½ cup of butter, rather than the normal 2 cups (!) in my strawberry buttery shortcake recipe.
These bars are a great snack for the kiddos. fabulous with coffee, and are amazing served warm over vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- 2 cups strawberries, cut up
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar divided
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment
- In small bowl-combine strawberries and lime juice. Add 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Toss to coat berries and set aside.
- In another bowl combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add egg yolk, vanilla and butter cubes. Using a pastry tool, two knives or a whisk, blend the mixture together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into pan. Top with strawberry mixture into an even layer. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top and then sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool for 15 min before serving with icecream. Cool longer for cutting bars.
- Enjoy and send me a photo!