Apple Crisp with Salted Caramel Sauce
This pan full of sweet gooey apples with a crispy topping, smothered in a salted caramel is out of this world. You will throw away all your other apple crisp recipes after your first bite!
This recipe serves: 6-8
- 4-5 small to medium apples, sliced into thin wedges (I like granny smith or I use a combo of both green and red apples)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 stick butter, chilled and cut into pieces, and 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 jar caramel ice cream topping
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon fine grained sea salt (or regular if you don’t have sea salt)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spread apple slices evenly in dish. Sprinkle with ¼ cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and oats and stir until mixed. Use a fork, pastry cutter, or your fingers to mush chilled butter pieces into dry mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle crumble mixture over apples. (Bake 35-45 minutes, until apples are cooked through and easily pierced with a fork.
3. To prepare caramel sauce, heat heavy cream and 1 tbsp butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add caramel sauce and stir until ingredients are completely combined. Stir in salt. Store in a jar or sealable container. Serve apple crisp warm with vanilla ice cream if desired, and top with salted caramel sauce.
So how did yours turn out? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.